Citizenship Reporting External Recognition
In 2012, Abbott was named one of the Top 10 Best Corporate Citizen rankings in its industry by Corporate Responsibility magazine. Abbott, number two in the Healthcare category, was honored for its "consistent commitment to gold standard environmental, economic and social values and practices," said Dick Olin, editor-in-chief of the publication.
In August 2012, Abbott was selected by MSCI for three of its sustainability indices: the MSCI World ESG Index, the MSCI World Socially Responsible Index and the MSCI KLD 400 Social Index. MSCI is a leading provider of corporate research and analysis for investors globally.
Abbott was included on the prestigious Dow Jones Sustainability World Index and on the North America Index for the eighth consecutive year in 2012, in recognition of continued global leadership in economic, environmental and social performance.
The leading global pharmaceutical and biotech news organization Scrip honored Abbott and the Abbott Fund with the 2011 Scrip Award for Corporate Social Responsibility.
Abbott ranked number 28 on Barron’s magazine 2011 ranking of the world’s 100 most respected companies and number 20 on the Corporate Responsibility magazine 100 Best Corporate Citizens. Abbott has also been ranked one of America’s most admired companies every year since 1984 by Fortune magazine. In 2012, Abbott ranked #1 in its sector in the social responsibility category.
Abbott was named one of the top three Best in Class companies in its industry sector for financial, environmental and social performance by Storebrand Investments, a leading socially responsible investment (SRI) firm. Abbott also has been included on the Ethibel Excellence Investment Register since 2005.
- Abbott was included on the prestigious Dow Jones Sustainability World Index and North America Index for the eighth consecutive year in 2012, in recognition of continued global leadership in economic, environmental and social performance.
- Abbott ranked number 24 on Barron’s magazine 2010 ranking of the world’s 100 most respected companies and number 20 on the Corporate Responsibility magazine 100 Best Corporate Citizens List. Abbott also was named Pharma Company of the Year and Management Team of the Year at the 2010 Scrip Awards.
- Abbott was named one of the top three Best in Class companies in its industry sector for financial, environmental and social performance by Storebrand Investments, a leading socially responsible investment (SRI) firm.
- Abbott has been included on the Ethibel Excellence Investment Register since 2005, in recognition of the company’s economic, social and environmental performance.
- Abbott was named to the Lundquist CSR Online Awards Global Leaders 2010 list of the top companies for online citizenship reporting and stakeholder engagement.
- Abbott was honored with the Power of Partnership Award by global humanitarian organization AmeriCares for efforts to help provide emergency disaster relief.
- Abbott was named one of the Best Companies for Corporate Citizenship in Brazil for three straight years by Gestão & RH Editora magazine.
- Abbott was named one of the top three companies for Ethics and Stakeholder Engagement by Gestão & RH Editora magazine in 2010.
- Abbott was honored as one of the top global companies for social responsibility in China for two consecutive years by Southern China Weekly, in partnership with Beijing and Nankai Universities.
- Abbott received the Shanghai Charity Foundation Appreciation Award in 2008 for earthquake relief efforts, including providing $1 million in funding and product donations to help with emergency response and recovery efforts.
- Abbott was recognized with the Caring Company Award from the Hong Kong Council of Social Service for the sixth consecutive year in 2008.
- Abbott was honored with the European Federation of Colitis and Crohn’s Association Youth Award 2009 for its support of a comprehensive campaign to raise public awareness of ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
- Abbott Ireland won the European Employee Volunteering Award in the Newcomer category in early 2011, honoring the more than 170 Abbott Ireland volunteers who have reached more than 1,500 families across Ireland. Abbott Ireland was selected from more than 250 submissions representing 22 European Union countries.
- Abbott was named the overall winner of the inaugural Green Awards and also won the Large Manufacturer Award in 2008 in recognition of its outstanding commitment to responsible environmental practices.
- Abbott Vascular won a Chambers Ireland President’s Award for Corporate Social Responsibility in 2008 and also received the Supporting Employee Volunteering Award for its commitment to working in partnership with local communities through the Croían Óir program.
- Abbott became one of the first companies in Ireland to be accredited by Certification Europe as a national leader in energy management and conservation in 2008.
- Abbott’s pharmaceutical operations facility received IS393 Energy Management Systems Standard certification in 2008, the highest environmental certification in Ireland.
- Abbott Campoverde was honored with the 2011 PremioImpresaAmbiente award from the Italian Chamber of Commerce and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization – recognizing the facility’s leadership in advancing sustainable development and social responsibility.
- Abbott’s facility in Campoverde obtained the European Commission’s ECO-Management Audit Scheme (EMAS) registration for continuous improvement in environmental performance, compliance with environmental legislation, public information and employee involvement.
- Abbott was named Best Foreign Corporation by the Korea Citizens’ Coalition for Economic Justice (CCEJ) in 2009 for leadership in compliance, ethical business practices, performance, contributions to society and other key criteria.
- Abbott received one of the most prestigious awards in Mexico for corporate citizenship, the Corporate Social Responsibility Distinction award from the Mexican Center for Philanthropy (Centro Mexicanopara la Filantropía), in recognition of the company’s economic, social and environmental performance.
- The new Abbott Manufacturing Singapore (AMS) facility recently became the first manufacturing plant in Singapore to earn Green Mark Gold-level certification, Singapore’s Building and Construction Authority’s (BCA) highest recognition for green building practices.
- Abbott Taiwan was ranked fourth on the Best Foreign Company Top 50 CSR Awards 2010, published by CommonWealth magazine.
- The Abbott Fund was honored with the 2009 Corporate Citizen Award for International Community Service by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Business Civic Leadership Center, in recognition of Abbott’s $60 million partnership with the Government of Tanzania to strengthen the country’s health care system and train health workers.
- The Abbott Fund was awarded the prestigious Business Excellence Award by the Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GBC) in 2007 for its partnership in Tanzania.
- Abbott was named among the top 10 percent of companies on Newsweek’s Greenest Companies in America list.
- Abbott was named to the Maplecroft Climate Innovation Index, a list of top-performing U.S. companies demonstrating excellence in climate-related innovation and carbon management.
- Abbott Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Miles D. White received the Woodrow Wilson Award for Corporate Citizenship in 2008, which is presented to executives who have demonstrated concern for social responsibility through their actions and business practices.
- Abbott’s operations in north suburban Chicago were honored with Illinois Pollution Prevention Awards for the ninth time in 2010.
- Abbott Vascular was recognized as a Bay Area Green Business in 2009 by Santa Clara County, California, in recognition of responsible environmental efforts at the company’s facilities in Santa Clara and Mountain View.
- Abbott Vascular received a 2008 Community Matters Award from the United Way for its philanthropic work in Temecula, California.
- Abbott Nutrition received the Corporate Leadership Spirit Award from Project OpenHand in 2009, in recognition of its support for a central Ohio program that supplies meals and food bank services for HIV/AIDS survivors.
- Abbott Nutrition was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the Central Ohio March of Dimes in 2008, in recognition of exemplary leadership in maternal and infant health.
- Abbott Nutrition was honored with the Corporate Volunteer Champion Award in 2007, in recognition of employees’ volunteer work with the Central Ohio chapter of the American Red Cross.
- Abbott Nutrition received the People of Vision Award by Prevent Blindness of Ohio in 2005, in recognition of 100 years of support for the central Ohio community.
- Abbott was honored with the Spirit of Caring Award by the United Way of Nashua, New Hampshire, for the company’s contributions throughout the community.
Note: All data in the Global Citizenship section reflects activities prior to the separation of Abbott and AbbVie on January 1, 2013.