Results are in – and thanks to a strong product pipeline and outstanding execution, we’ve again added to our more than decade-long streak of meeting or beating Wall Street expectations.
For the quarter, Abbott delivered impressive sales and double-digit earnings-per-share growth.
All four of our businesses (Diagnostics, Devices, Nutrition and Medicines) contributed to strong growth in the quarter, and we announced plans to narrow our outlook for the rest of the year.
Fueling these results is Abbott’s highly productive product pipeline – including significant recent advancements in Diabetes, Structural Heart and Diagnostics.
Our latest performance is a reflection of Abbott’s commitment to sustainable organic growth. Abbott’s stock has nearly doubled since January 2017, and during the last year, we have averaged more than 7 percent organic sales growth – a true differentiator for a company our size.
Some of the product highlights from the quarter include:
- FreeStyle® Libre 14 day system, is now the longest lasting self-applied glucose sensor approved in the United States.
- FreeStyle® Libre 2 system, which utilizes Bluetooth technology and offers optional real-time glucose alarms, was approved in Europe.
- MitraClip® NTR and MitraClip® XTR, the latest versions of our leading heart valve repair device, are now approved in the United States.
- Positive results from the landmark COAPT study demonstrated MitraClip improved survival and clinical outcomes for select patients with secondary mitral regurgitation. Data is expected to support an expanded indication for MitraClip.
- High Sensitive Troponin-I, a test indicated to help predict the chances of a heart attack potentially up to month to years in advance, is available for use in Europe.
For full financials, you can read our press release, or take a look at some additional materials below:
Abbott's Chairman and CEO Miles D. White shared his views on third-quarter performance: