The focus of our 2030 Sustainability Plan is to advance greater health access and affordability for more people in more places, with a goal to improve the lives of more than 3 billion people every year by decade's end. That's 1 billion more than we reach today – which demonstrates both the ambition of our commitment, and the scale of the effort that will be needed today and in the years ahead.
To get there, we'll need to transform the future of healthcare through intentional, continuous efforts, across our company. We'll need to measure our progress and performance, and elevate the work we do, every day and around the world.
That's why we're proud to achieve the highest score out of 84 companies in our industry in the S&P Global Corporate Sustainability Assessment, also called the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI). We've led our sector – Health Care Equipment & Supplies – for nine consecutive years and have been included on the broader DJSI for 17 consecutive years.
Considered one of the most prestigious global benchmarks for corporate sustainability performance, the DJSI was announced on Nov. 12. The DJSI tracks the performance of leading companies on environmental, social and governance (ESG) criteria, and provides stakeholders, such as investors, insight on how a company's sustainability practices are generating long-term societal and shareholder value.
2020 Sustainability Report Summary Highlights ESG Progress
We recently released our 2020 Sustainability Report Summary, which builds on the comprehensive disclosures shared earlier in the year in our full Global Sustainability Report. The summary provides a high-level overview of our performance in our key areas of focus, including:
- Innovate for access and affordability: We're designing access and affordability into our products and programs, transforming care for chronic disease, malnutrition and infectious diseases, and tackling social and economic barriers to advance health equity.
- Responsibly connect data, technology and care: Our connected medical devices, products, diagnostic platforms and systems, alongside our data technologies, are helping people and their doctors to make faster and more informed decisions about their health.
- Building the diverse, innovative workforce of tomorrow: We are shaping our organization for the future, prioritizing diversity and inclusion, advancing STEM education and internships, and empowering our teams with the skills they will need to meet future health needs.
- Protecting a healthy environment: We're committed to safeguarding a healthy environment by reducing the environmental impacts of our business across our value chain – such as reducing carbon emissions, sustainably managing our water use, and minimizing waste and reducing the impact of our product packaging.
- Creating a resilient, responsible supply chain: By expanding opportunities for diverse and small businesses, and actively engaging with suppliers to meet our high-quality standards, we are working to build a more resilient supply chain – which was essential to our COVID-19 response.
- Delivering quality and safety: Our purpose of enabling fuller lives through the power of health depends on trust, and trust in Abbott depends on our ability to consistently deliver safe, effective and high-quality products. The process of earning that trust never ends – that's why we take a holistic view of quality across our organization and beyond.